Lisey's Story by Stephen King

Okay, about broadening my horizons; I decided to read Stephen King. My husband likes his book, and I did enjoy Carrie, The Eyes of the Dragon and Fire Starter. I even watch the movies and enjoyed it. I started reading Lisey's Story. I don't know if it's the reader or the book, but I've never encountered a whinier book lately. Seriously. It sounds like it was written by the other Stephen King, the boring one. While it's true that it might be because I'm not used to 'non-romantic' tales, but this one just about put it to sleep while my blood boils.

They say it's easy to criticize a book than write it. Still, that didn't make me like the book at all. It could be the reader. I have all 16 discs in my iPod. I'm listening to it again just to see if it's me, but I have to wait another month because it's just really annoying right now.

Nora Roberts gave this book a dazzling review, so I will try again, but it's just so whiny. It just keeps stating and re-stating the same bloody widowhood all the way to disc 4...get on with the story already! I enjoy love story, but I didn't find one so far. It's not a bad book, I just didn't like how it just keeps going and going and going while I am waiting for the story to get going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't mind a period of mourning, the main character mourns her beloved husbands death.

But good grief, in Jewish tradition, the mourning period lasts only a year, and my goodness, it was going to take a year for me to finish hearing how she just couldn't get over it, talking out loud to her dead husband, 'Oh why, why did you leave me?!?'

That's fine at the moment of death, at the funeral, perhaps a month or three, maybe longer. But to drone on and on and on ... I don't want to re-live that in real time.

I honestly wonder if this really was SK himself, or, much more likely, he wrote the paragraph about when the dead husband - in a flashback - was giving a speech at a ceremony, then I suspect his wife re-took the pen and wrote the rest.

No offence ladies, but when I see an author who is a female, either she's one of those Tom Boy types who has enough testosterone in her to write like a man, or you get something horrible, something like this.

If you're a woman reading this, I was just kidding.