War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, Part 1

I joined this book reader's group where I am supposed to read 4 Russian novels in 2008. As I was trying to decided which Russian novels to read, I was struck by how many where so thick. Thick, I tell you! I have also noticed that I am only noticing Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky. I haven't really paid attention to Russian novels because in school project, I'd offer to read 3 non-Russian novels just so I can escape reading those very big and hearty tomes. So here I am now, 34-years old, about to embark on my first Russian novel journey. I decided to start with War and Peace. I am reading the first 10 pages, and they're at a party. It takes getting used to, but I noticed that this Tolstoy guy can write. I can picture the party. The host, I forgot her name, she's not really a major character, is disgruntled with the 'little man with big ambition.' Aha! It' set somewhere during Napoleon's wars. I am enjoying it between bouts of erotic paranormal like JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series, and Tara Janzen's Steel Street hunkies.

I have decided that I will chronicle this War and Peace Journey. I will blog as I read along. I am sure there's not a single iota that wasn't discussed in this book. It's alright, because I haven't read those discussion. I can start bumbling on my own, thank you very much.

No comments: