Homemade Meringue Pie

I think every family has a recipe they treasure and passed down through generations or children. We're no exception. We have our mango flavored meringue pie. Cooking and baking during holidays is a perfect time for the women and some men to get together and catch up on gossip. I have such wonderful memories of those times.

Mango Meringue pie calls for a good mixer to make those egg white really stiff. I remember taking my turn beating eggs with whisker. It can take a good half-hour to an hour to make them really stiff and ready. I don't remember having an electric mixer then. To buy one in the Philippines would have been really expensive. What sore arms I have afterwards. It's really worth it though because the pie is practically to die for. Shopping for a mixer is not so easy. I had spent some good money on a few mixer only to end up disappointed that my mixer did not perform to my expectations.

I'm sharing this recipe to my new generation, but with Eclectrics® Mixer. At Hamilton Beach®, they have extensive collection of Stand mixer. It comes in many colors, so it's sure to compliment your kitchen.

Base
1 1/2 cups plain flour
4 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup sugar

Pastry:
4 tablespoons mango nectar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
7 tablespoons custard powder
3 mango slices

Meringue:
3 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar

Preheat over to 350F.
Mix flour and margarine and put in mixer at low medium speed. Roll into lightly floured surface and layer into a grease pie plate. Bake 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
Beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form, add sugar making sure to keep the stiff peaks.

Mix all filling except the mango slices and boil stirring constantly until thick. Layer mango on bottom of pie plate, top with filling. Spoon meringue over it all. Bake 10-15 minutes until it's golden brown.

Hamilton Beach® mixers are work of art. They have Professional 2-way rotating head for thorough hands-free mixing, 2 piece pouring and splatter shield and many more wonderful features. Holidays are coming up and I know what I want for Christmas.

No comments: